150 injured by meteorite fragments in Chelyabinsk Region
MOSCOW, February 15 (Itar-Tass) –The number of injured from the Friday morning fall of meteorite fragments in the Chelyabinsk region has reached 150, a representative of the Russian Interior Ministry’s (MVD) press service reported.
“As citizens are seeking medical attention the number of the injured at the moment has reached about 150 people,” the press service said.
The Friday morning meteorite fall in the Urals has not caused any serious disruptions, all housing and public utilities facilities, energy and communications facilities are operating normally, chief of the National Crisis Management Centre of the Russian Emergency Situations Ministry (EMERCOM) Vladimir Stepanov told Itar-Tass.
“No serious consequences have been so far recorded. According to surveys, including by other ministries and departments, all the power and communications facilities are working normally. There has been no disruption in the rail and air transport work,” Stepanov said.
The roof of a zinc plant in the Chelyabinsk Region partially collapsed due to blast wave caused by the fall of a meteorite, the press centre of the Russian Interior Ministry reported on Friday. “The zinc plant’s roof and wall was partially destroyed by the meteorite impact,” the source said.
The work of the local housing and public utilities sector has not been affected as well.
Stepanov said that the Megaphone mobile operator has had a small communications failure, but it was promptly coped with.